This page contains links to resources for people wanting to translate occult and spiritual texts. You can assist others by suggesting any articles, books, or other resources relating to translating occult texts. Add your suggestions via the comments box below. I have started work on an English-Spanish occult and magic glossary in Google Translator Toolkit’s glossary format. If you would like to collaborate on this, or have access to the glossary for downloading, then simply contact me. The glossary format allows for multiple languages, so it would be useful to add languages other than Spanish to make it a comprehensive resource for anyone needing to translate occult material.
Encyclopaedias, Dictionaries, & Wikis
- Babylon.com Free Dictionaries User created glossaries with translations into many languages. Specifically useful: Religion & Spirituality with subcategories Astrology, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Occult & Mysticism; Psychology; and Mythology & Folklore.
- Dictionary.com Includes an etymological dictionary, (no longer provides access to the Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary)
- The Free Dictionary A Comprehensive multi-lingual dictionary that offers translations for many words. (example: occult)
- Indo-European Etymological Dictionary A research project of the Department of Comparative Indo-European Linguistics at Leiden University. It aims at producing a dictionary containing all words in the Indo-European languages that can be traced back to the proto-language.
- Indo-European Roots Index (now only available via Archive.org) From: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000. Very useful for etymology of words.
- Wiktionary Wiktionary can often be used to find translations of topics by using the inter-language wiki links and entries often have translation tables for multiple languages. (example: occult)
- Wikipedia Wikipedia can often be used to find translations of topics by using the inter-language wiki links. (example: English: occult -> Español occultismo)
- Word Reference Comprehensive multilingual dictionary.
- Cucumis Cucumis is a free online translation service using a community of translators.
- Free Translation Forum Allows you to find a volunteer translator from any language to any language for short text or words.
- Kudoz Forum Proz – The translation workplace has an ‘Esoteric Practices’ section. Many languages supported.
- TranslatorsCafé.com A website for translation professionals, however anyone can ask translation related questions in the TCTerms forum. Many languages supported.
- Word Reference Language Forums Forums in multiple languages
Online Automated Translation Tools
- Babylon Multilingual language full text translation
- Google Translate Multilingual language full text translation (improves over time with user feedback. I’ve notice improving accuracy for Spanish-English or English-Spanish translations)
- Reference.com Translate Full Text Translator & Multilingual Dictionary
- Yahoo! Babel Fish (formerly Altavista Babel Fish). Multilingual full text translation
- International Writers’ Group Offers a free (or paid version) newsletter entitled Tool Kit. Also produces A Translator’s Tool Box – A Computer Primer for Translators
Translation Tools and Software
- Anaphraseus (formerly OpenWordfast) A CAT (Computer Aided Translation) tool, OpenOffice.org 2 macro set similar to famous Wordfast. A review is available here.
- Google Translator Toolkit Google’s free CAT tool. You can use shared or global translation memory, and there is the ability to build a glossary. Automatic translations are offered from Google Translate, making for very rapid translations.
- Wordfast Translation Studio A CAT (Computer Aided Translation) add-on for MS Word. Considered by many to be an industry leader, it is freely downloadable and the demo mode allows a fairly large 500 entries into a translation memory file before registration is required.
- Blue Letter Bible As well as multiple English translations you can find the Reina-Valera (RVR) of the Spanish Protestant Church; The Latin Vulgate (Vulgate); Textus Receptus (TR) which is the Greek text compiled by Erasmus around 1516; Westminster Leningrad Codex (WLC) Hebrew text; and Septuagint (LXX) Greek Old Testament. (example: Genesis 1:1)
- Kybalion.org has links to the Kybalion in various languages (some links currently outdated, but may be accessible via archive.org)
Hebrew Language Tools
- Transliterate Hebrew text An online tool by Alex Sirota that can transliterate Hebrew to Latin letters, and vice versa.
Spanish Language Tools
- Word Magic English/Spanish Dictionary Online bilingual English-Spanish dictionary that features short phrases as well as single words.
- SpanishDict Comprehensive English-Spanish dictionary.
- English<>Spanish Dictionary (Granada University, Spain) Comprehensive English-Spanish dictionary.
Last modified: 10 August 2014